Head-on collisions – the type that can happen to your head as a result of motor vehicle collisions, falls, or sports injuries – can lead to potential consequences such as concussion. Concussion is a traumatic brain injury that can cause lasting effects on brain tissue and change the chemical balance of the brain.
It is important to seek medical treatment immediately following any head injury. The risk of death or permanent brain damage from a concussion can be minimized by immediate and appropriate treatment from health care providers, like a physical therapist. At the office of Therapeutics Unlimited, our highly skilled professionals have the training to identify concussion and help with treatment.
Symptoms of a concussion can include headache, dizziness, difficulty with balance and coordination, fatigue, confusion, slurred speech, and memory difficulties. Because no two concussions are the same, our physical therapists will conduct a full examination in order to prescribe a routine that best addresses your symptoms. Treatment may include:
- Rest and recovery. A period of rest helps the brain heal and helps symptoms clear up as quickly as possible.
- Restoring strength and endurance. The physical and mental rest required after a concussion can result in muscle weakness, and a decrease in physical endurance. We can help you regain your strength and endurance when the right time comes, without making your concussion symptoms worse.
- Stopping dizziness and improving balance. We can help reduce or stop your dizziness or balance problems after a concussion by applying special treatments or teaching you specific exercises, some of which you may be able to do at home.
- Reducing headaches. Treatments to eliminate headache may include stretches, strength and motion exercises, eye exercises, hands-on techniques like specialized massage, and the use of technologies such as electrical stimulation.
- Returning to normal activity or sport. As symptoms ease and you are able to regain your normal strength and endurance without symptoms returning, your physical therapist will help you gradually add normal activities back into your daily routine.
Committed to restoring you to good health
At the office of Therapeutics Unlimited, we’re dedicated to providing the highest quality of skilled and compassionate rehabilitative care. For more information on our office and the many services that we provide, give us a call today.