Gastrointestinal disorders also known as digestive issues could include a wide range of ailments that often affect our digestive system. Contrary to popular belief, the stomach and its parts are very sensitive and therefore require ultra care. However it is susceptible to diseases, and there are ways to prevent the illnesses.
Types Of Gastrointestinal Disorders and Their Causes
A number of gastro disorders could affect your stomach esophagus or intestines. Each of them varies in symptom and intensity as well. Their treatment also differs from one another.
However, there are some common disorders which include-
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease(GERD)- The esophagus is often divided from the stomach with a ring but when the ring gets infected your stomach starts to hurt. This could be caused by a hernia, obesity, pregnancy, and even some medications.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS)-There are various reasons that can lead to IBS. Some of them include stress, sensitive stomach, dietary factors, gut motility, and environmental factors.
- Celiac disease- It is an auto-immune disease that gets triggered by eating gluten-rich foods. This causes the small intestine’s lining to suffer a tear.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease- It is another genetically caused disease that is flared up due to Crohn’s disease.
- Peptic Ulcers- Caused by bacteria, this one leads to the formation of boils on the stomach.
- Gall stones- It is often characterized by stones formation in the gall bladder due to excess cholesterol, bilirubin, and bile. It is usually escalated by obesity or rapid weight loss in some cases.
- Pancreatitis- A disease that affects the pancreas, it can be prompted by certain medication, alcohol abuse, or gallstones.
- Gastroenteritis- It is caused by viruses and bacteria when you eat or drink contaminated food and water.
- Diverticulitis- This one occurs when the intestine pouches start swelling although the cause is still unknown.
- Food allergies- Your stomach could be sensitive to certain foods or drinks which may lead to it acting up.
Prevention of Gastrointestinal Disorders
Prevention is always better than cure. So there could be some steps you could take to avoid unnecessary pain that entail the following-
1. Balanced Diet- Eating a balanced diet could be the solution to all your problems. Your food should be rich in dietary fiber to prevent constipation, probiotics to help gut health, and no trans fat to stop the accumulation of alcohol.
2. Portion Control- Overeating could be the reason why your stomach is so sensitive. So you should take care of the portion you are consuming. When you are full, don’t stuff yourself with food.
3. Regular Physical Activity- There is no substitution for exercise. You should devote at least an hour to sweating it out with an activity of your choice. It could be walking, swimming or running. Not only does this minimize the probability of Gastro diseases but also ensures proper blood flow to the stomach linings.
4. Manage Stress- Stress can be a major cause of your gastro problems. It can affect your stomach by prompting it to release acids which cannot be good for your health.
5. Avoid Smoking and Drinking Alcohol- Smoking and alcohol are not advised in any case. Not only will they add to your weight but also result in an increase in the consumption of trans fats.
6. Good Hygiene- Eating and drinking clean food and water is necessary to ensure bacteria or viruses don’t enter your digestive system. The damage could be long-term.
7. Regular Medication Use- You should be wary of any medicines that could trigger gastro-related diseases and talk to your doctor about any potential causes.
8. Regular Health Checkups- You should visit your doctor for regular health checkups and find out any underlying cause for the distress.