Silicone plugs are soft and moldable devices that can be inserted into the ear canal to provide protection. They are preferred by a lot of people thanks to their ability to seep into the hole and still being able to provide a snug fit that can protect your ears from various harms.
Their reusability also makes them extremely popular and so are its modifications. It is safe for both children and adults. However, one should make sure that they get the right kind to allow complete protection. If it doesn’t sit properly in your ear, chances are that the canal is not as protected as one thinks it is.
How To Use It?
To use silicone plugs one must always buy the right kind according to their need. Using silicone plugs is an easy task. You can roll it between your fingers and then insert them right into the ears. Once you release them, they will expand to make a tight fit around your ears.
It is always advisable to look for the product’s instructions and guidance to make it as useful as possible. Also always buy the right ones that fit your size and one size might not fit all.
What Is It Used For?
Silicone plugs are used to block the ear canal in general but people mainly use it to gain protection from noise and water. A human ear can only hear up to 130 Decibels. Anything above this could seriously damage your ear drum.
However, even if you opt to hear loud music for an hour daily it could eventually wear out your ear drum costing your hearing. Situations like those warrant the use of earplugs to reduce the impact of the noise. Next, there could be people who want to swim as a hobby or professionally.
In both cases, water could enter the ear canal and lead to catastrophic results. Therefore swimmers use water-resistant ear plugs to protect their ears from the chlorine-treated water. Additionally, some just need calmness or quietness to catch a sleep. Sleeping is important for sound cognitive ability.
Hence, earplugs are used by light sleepers to avoid any distractions that might otherwise break their sleep. It can also be used in case you are reading a book and want some peace with yourself. Overall the use depends totally on your needs.
Are Silicone Plugs Bad For Your Ears?
Silicone plugs are carefully made with your protection in mind. Therefore they are considered to be safe for your ears. The protection it provides is unmatchable and that is why a large number of people prefer wearing them for various purposes.
However, there are certain things you should be mindful of when you are wearing one.
- Firstly, you should always follow the manufacturer’s guide when wearing them. Don’t push it farther back or pull it at once.
- Secondly, Silicone is usually well tolerated by most individuals but in case you develop an allergy don’t continue using it. Instead, you should consult a doctor and look for alternatives.
- Thirdly, be wary of your ear’s condition.
- One must also make sure they are not using it beyond a certain time limit as this could you open to risks like tinnitus.
- Don’t insert an ear plug if you have an existing infection let it heal and then you can use the ear plugs. Moreover, clean your ear canal and pat it dry.
- Lastly, pushing it can cause your ear wax to go further and cause infection. In case you feel uncomfortable, remove it and then get your ear cleaned, and then wear it.
To conclude, silicone earplugs are safe but you shouldn’t overuse them in any way.