Nerve pain emerges from nerves and is usually caused by the destruction of nerve paths, unlike a wound we experience from a cut. People have described the pain as sharp, throbbing, burning, tingling, or stabbing. The nerve degeneration could be a result of accidents, age, repeated motions, and even autoimmune diseases.
What Is The Fastest Way To Get Relief From Nerve Pain?
Patients with neuropathic pain are often in severe condition and once the pain begins there is no going back. In most cases, there is no sure-shot way to cure the disease but only pain management. According to doctors taking medications is the fastest way to get relief from Nerve pain. This includes eating over-the-counter medicines as well as prescription medications.
Over-the-counter medications or Pain relievers (NSAIDs) also known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are one of the popular choices when it comes to managing nerve pains. Medications could range from Ibuprofen or Naproxen is ideal for relieving mild woes but something severe would likely have no effect from these medications. When it stops giving you relief, you should give a chance to prescription medications. Prescription medication could include Gabapentin or Pregabalin which are collectively known as anti-convulsants.
Patients have reported to gain relief from diabetic and peripheral neuropathy. According to doctors, they work so effectively because they stop the pain signals to your nerves. They stabilize the electrical activity of the nerves to achieve this feat. Doctors are also known to prescribe Tricyclic antidepressants like amitriptyline, nortriptyline, and desipramine as they control the neurotransmitters and cut the line of pain at the nerves. Neuropathic pain is treated with these antidepressants and people are known to experience relief.
Another kind of SNRI or Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake Inhibitor consisting of duloxetine and venlafaxine is known to create a barrier between the emitting brain signals and nerves. It is effective for diabetic neuropathy and fibromyalgia. Opioid medications are known to generate a lot of side effects and are not yet certified in many countries.
However, wherever they are available, people are known to be taking them but within regulated limits. Moreover, there are topical medications like capsaicin and Lidocaine which are applied directly to the area of the pain. They seep into the skin and affect the point of pain. Lastly, nerve blocks could be injected to make certain nerves dormant and thereby stop the pain.
Read More:- Can Gas Cause Chest Pain? Find Out Here!
What Are The Other Ways To Get Relief From Nerve Pain?
- As soon as the pain arises, the first thing you should be doing is calling your doctor. They can not only help you zero in on the pain area but the exact cause of the pain. You should also resort to tests and imaging to get a better picture of the nerves that are entwined or compressed.
- If the pain is bearable it could be managed with a physical therapist who would work the pain by stretching and exercising.
- Additionally, hot and cold therapy, or the process of treating the area of pain with hot and cold compressors alternatively would alleviate the pain.
- Acupuncture is one of the most well-regarded alternative medicine techniques prescribed for nerve pain relief.
- Moreover practicing yoga, and meditation are all excellent ways to keep your mind fresh and reduce the stressors.
- To further diminish the chances doctors often suggest their patients not to indulge in smoking, drinking, and heavy lifting.
The important thing is to get the pain under control by opting for the best course of action for you. You should discuss this with your doctor and therapist to get a comprehensive medical schedule that can help you manage it.